Wednesday, July 15, 2009

July 15, 2009: Yamakasa


One of the final big events we were fortunate enough to attend while in Japan was an important festival called Yamakasa. In this case, I and my good friend Darryl were able to be actual participants in the festival. We trained for a few days before doing the actual festival.


Yamakasa is essentially a race around the city in which the different areas of town are pitted in competition against one-another. Each group carries a big shrine which a select few town elders get to ride on top of. The teams race along the streets as on-lookers cheer and throw buckets of water on the competitors and the street. It is actually quite challenging and a bit dangerous. If a person falls, they are sure to get scraped up and possibly trampled on.






Of course, the most interesting part of all of this for any foreigners is the fact that the participants where a "sumo style" cloth with fits snugly between the buttocks...giving a nice view for all the ladies!




Of all the things we did in Japan, this was one of the most memorable for me. It was a wonderful finish to a wonderful year in Japan. I was very fortunate to have had this experience. And I am sure that I won't soon forget it.

-Brandon

1 comment:

Kelli said...

A little more of Brandon than I ever wanted to see. Haha!